December 2015 :
- Scotland has lost one of his literary voices with the passing of William McIlvanney, “the godfather of tartan noir”. Let’s pay him homage by reading or rereading his works!
November 2015 :
- John-Erich Nielsen, author of Scottish detective stories, is producing a series of clips based on his “Démons de l’île de Skye”, shot at Craigievar Castle, near Aberdeen. The first clip can be seen at: www.hoh-editions.com
- Breton magazine ArMen just published an article entitled “Scotland: a year after the referendum” in its November-December issue. And a special report on energy in Brittany.
October 2015 :
- From international and academic symposium organized at Nantes University conferences by Gilles Leydier (A surge of nationalism? Les ressorts de l'hégémonie politique du Scottish National Party), Edwige Camp-Piétrain (L'Ecosse à l'issue du référendum : la poursuite du processus de dévolution) a,d David McCrone (Changed utterly ? The road to (greater) self-government) are available on line at:
https://webtv.univ-nantes.fr/tag/scottish%20national%20partyAn interview of David McCrone can also be seen at:
- Scottish economist Angus Deaton has won the Nobel Prize in economic sciences for his “analysis of consumption, poverty and welfare”. He is therefore the tenth Scot to be honoured by the Nobel Prize, mainly in chemistry, physics or medicine. Among them, John MacLeod, for the discovery of insulin in 1923, or Sir Alexander Fleming, for the discovery of penicillin in 1945.
September 2015 :
- International Symposium on “The issues raised by the Scottish Referendum”
Nantes University is organizing an International Symposium on “The issues raised by the Scottish referendum and its impact on the future of the United Kingdom and Europe » on September 25 & 26. Compulsory registration before September 21 on: www.crini.univ-nantes.fr
July 2015 :
- Concert and exhibition on « The Hebrides » by Alix Quoniam
Alix Quoniam gave a concert “Songs from the Hebrides” at the Temple de Plougrescant in July 21, while her exhibition entitled “Lights on Hebrides” (photos by Yves Plucher and Alix Quoniam) was on show from July 16 to 26.
- Summer Tell Tales by Fiona McLeod
- July 24 at Plouer sur Rance, July 30 at Ouessant, August 4 at Pont Croix, August 6 at Camaret sur Mer
- Tales and songs at Cosquer Farm, Beuzec Cap Sizun, with Brigitte Kloareg, August 12, 9 p.m.
- and, LAST BUT NOT LEAST, evening tales at Keriolet Mill, Beuzec Cap Sizun with Remy Cochen and Nolwenn Champagne, all day long for children, in the evening for adults and children, August 15.
- Annual General Meeting
Brittany-Scotland Annual General Meeting was held on July 18 at “auberge de Kerveoc’h” in Douarnenez.
June 2015 :
- Press conference
For its 15th birthday, Brittany-Scotland association presented a rich 15 years activities report to the press, with articles in local newspapers on June 29.
- Bilingual Gaelic/French pocket dictionary
Just published by Yoran Embanner Ed. £6.
- Center Brittany renting
House to rent at Glomel for £350 a month, or £3990 a year. Please contact Per Le Moine: email@example.com.
- Scottish Poetry
Yearly magazine Etudes écossaises number 17, on Scottish poetry, published by Grenoble University – Université Stendhal – BP 25 – 38040 Grenoble Cedex 9. 19 € plus 2.50 € for postal charges. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Beer Story in Brittany
A 342 pages rich with illustrations book, « L’histoire de la bière en Bretagne », by Philippe Bonnet can be ordered for 32€ to: email@example.com
- Summer renting in August
Two bedrooms in Morlaix are available for 80€ a week. Please contact Maria Ansquer: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Self-catering cottage in « Monts d’Arrée »
Cottage at Commana for two to four persons; address: 4 rue du Paradis (Paradise street!).
Information at : http://natureetpoesie.wix.com/gite-commana
May 2015 :
- William MacIlvanney at Penmarc’h
The great Scottish writter was at « Le Goeland Masqué » book fair. Gaelic choirs at Quimper
Spendid concert given at St Alor church on Sunday, May 24, by Mouezh Paotred Breizh and Scottish Gaelic Choir (Strath Gaelic Choir, Stirling Gaelic Choir and Glasgow Islay Gaelic Choir)
- 7 May general elections in Scotland
56 MPS for the SNP, 1 for the Conservatives (Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale et Tweeddale), 1 for the Labour party (Edinburgh South) and one for the Liberals (Orkney et Shetland)